It is one of the most necessary nutrients to sustain our life.
Water is basis of fluids of all living organisms, our number one life elixir.
Only 1% of the world’s water is drinkable, in other terms only 1% is considered clean and potable.
About 1 in 9 people lack access to an improved water source.
Drinking too much water can cause water intoxication: Hyponatremia lowering the level of salt or sodium in your blood that results in brain’s functions disturbance and unbalance the normal level of electrolytes in the body.
Dehydration which is not drinking enough water causes a multitude of health problems, not the least of which are fatigue, depression, diabetes, high blood pressure, weakness, and loss of energy.
Potable water or drinking water is the safe water to drink or prepare food with without being subject to waterborne diseases.
The state of drinking water supplies can be quantified by four important characteristics: quality, quantity, reliability, and cost.
1.8 billion people around the world use unsafe potable water sources, this result in numerous diseases.
The United Nations and other organizations estimate that each person requires access to a minimum of 20 to 50 liters of water per day for drinking, food preparation, and personal hygiene.
International nonprofit Organization such as http://water.org/ believes that water is the way to break the cycle of poverty and make a bright future possible for all. It is hard to prosper without safe water.
They want to bring water and sanitation to the world, making it safe, accessible and cost-effective.
They transformed more than three million lives around the world through access to safe water and sanitation, pioneering innovative, sustainable solutions to the global water crisis for 25 years, giving women hope, children health and communities a future.
Safe water sources provide us with safe drinking water with all the necessary quality parameters physical, chemical and microbiological.
Clean Water has many health benefits, it helps:
- Lose Weight, it suppresses your appetite.
- Builds Muscle, it enables your muscles to work harder and longer before they feel tired.
- Remove Toxins.
- Moisturize your joints, skin and the air in the lungs.
- Reduce headaches.
- Mental alertness.
- Digestion and constipation.
- Regulate the body temperature.
- Asthma and allergies.
- Boost metabolic rate.
- Transport nutrients.
- Kidney and bowel function.
- Lower back pains.
For your body to function properly, you must regain your body water supply by consuming beverages and foods that contain water to replenish what you have lost through breath, perspiration, urine and bowel movements.
A healthy adult living in a temperate climate needs:
- For men about 13 cups (3 liters) of total beverages a day.
- For women about 9 cups (2.2 liters) of total beverages a day.
Depending on how active you are, the climate you live in and your health status your need of water is influenced:
- Exercise: An extra 1.5 to 2.5 cups (400 to 600 milliliters) of water should suffice for short bouts of exercise, intense exercise:More fluids to replace sodium lost in sweat.
- Environment: Hot or humid weather, heated indoor, air altitudes greater than 8,200 feet (2,500 meters) affect your need of water.
- Illnesses or health conditions: fever, vomiting, diarrhea, bladder infections or urinary tract stones needs more fluid intake. On the other hand, some conditions, needs you to limit your fluid intake such as heart failure and some types of kidney, liver and adrenal diseases, etc.
- Pregnancy or breast-feeding: Women who are pregnant or breast-feeding need additional fluids to stay hydrated.
– Pregnant women about 10 cups (2.3 liters) of fluids daily.
– Breast-feeding women about 13 cups (3.1 liters) of fluids a day.
How we can stay safely hydrated:
- For an adequate Water intake : Drink 6.3 cups (1.5 liters) or more a day, a glass of water or other calorie-free or low-calorie beverage with each meal and between each meal if you were to keep track. You should rarely feel thirsty and keep your urine colorless or light yellow.
- Fluid intake is inadequate: Health issues are being noticed.
You should immediately check with your doctor or a registered dietitian, they can determine the amount of water that’s right for your condition.
Dr. …….. at BMG will be able to diagnose your condition and give you the right advise and medical assessment to restore your health and make sure you are not subject to any disease due to your wrong water intake.
At BMG safety is our main concern, and Drinking Water Safety is part of our safety program, the purpose is prevention, early detection and immediate decontamination.
Our private wells, bottled water and public water systems are subject to many monitoring and inspections per year.
We make sure that our drinking water system delivers the adequate quality and quantity of water.
We collect samples and analyze all microbiological and chemical risks (heavy metals, trace organic compounds, pathogenic species of bacteria, viruses, and protozoan parasites, etc).
For the sake of our care quality we have a prepared task force to respond to or recover immediately from a total or partial interruption of water supply.
How can you test any risk of that kind at home?
- Try to test it yourself by buying a kit of water purity test.
- Physical test: Fill a glass of water, put it in the light, smell it.
- Chemical test: Put the strips kit in the water one by one. The reactant in the strips indicates the presence of various contaminants such as bacteria, lead, pesticides, nitrites/nitrates, chlorine, hardness, and pH, etc.
Note that a home test can flag the problem but does not guarantee the safety of your water.
Therefore you should contact your water company supplier or local authority environmental health department in case of public supply.
Water companies can arrange for tests to be done or check that plumbing arrangements are correct and advise you of action to be taken.
Contaminated water is estimated to result in more than half a million deaths per year.
Did you know?
- 90% of the world’s fresh water is in Antarctica.
- There’s a water reservoir floating in space that is equivalent to 140 trillion times all the water in the world’s ocean.
- The number of H2O in each drop of water is equal to the number of all starts in the universe.
Water is a source of life, beware of water hazards.